Call 1-800-222-1222 IMMEDIATELY if the child appears to have ingested or has come in contact with chemicals or potential poisons.
Poisons in the home are generally from common everyday household products. Because of the curious nature of children, they are prone to ingest (eat or drink) chemicals that can cause harm. It is very important to prevent poisoning accidents. With a little effort, you can easily safeguard your home to protect your child from the danger of poisons.
Everyday products such as cleaners, soaps, bleach, disinfectants, furniture polish, medicine, vitamins, paint, paint remover, cosmetics, and glue can be easily ingested, inhaled, or come in contact with the skin. It is important to keep these types of products out of the reach of little hands. Using safety latches on cabinets can prevent curious little ones from accidentally harming themselves.
Educate your child about the dangers of these products. Never tell your child that medicine is candy or she may look for the "candy" when you are not around. Teach your child that certain products can be harmful and cause serious injury. They should not use these without your permission. Do not store harmful products in food containers or cups because they may be accidentally ingested by your little one thinking that it is food. Remember that children naturally put things in their mouths to taste.
Keep the telephone number for Poison Control near your telephone. Keep Syrup of Ipecac on hand and only use if instructed to do so by Poison Control or your doctor.
If you suspect your child has ingested or taken something he should not have, have him spit it out immediately. Do not induce vomiting because some products can cause more harm this way. If there are empty bottles near him, he most likely took what was inside. If you suspect that he has gotten a harmful substance on the skin, immediately flush with plain water.
Depending on what was ingested, inhaled or gotten on the skin, you may need to call 911, poison control, or your physician.
Seek immediate medical assistance if your child is unresponsive, having difficulty breathing, having a seizure, vomiting or nauseous, or you notice burns on his lips or mouth. You need to have the container of whatever he ingested with you when you call 911, poison control, or your physician.